School Calendar 2022 in Kenya Term Dates
RESUMPTION OF LEARNING IN BASIC EDUCATION LEARNING INSTITUTIONS IN JANUARY 2021
During his November 12, 2020 State of the Nation address, His Excellency President Uhuru Kenyatta directed the Ministry of Education, in consultation with all stakeholders, to inform Kenyans on the dates for resumption of studies within 14 days.
In compliance with the directive, the Ministry of Education has today met with all stakeholders to deliberate on the current preparedness for full resumption of learning of all learners in all basic education learning institutions on January 4th, 2021.
Today’s meeting reached consensus on the following key milestone dates:
- 1. All schools will reopen fully on January 4th 2021. This will apply to all continuing PP1 & 2; Grade 1, 2 and 3; Class 5, 6 and 7; and Form 1,
2 and 3 learners.
- 2. All 4 year-olds will join PP1 in July 2021
- 3. Pre Primary 1 & 2; Grade 1, 2 & 3; Class 5, 6 & 7; and Form 1, 2 & 3 learners will start their Term 2 on 4th January, 2021 and end on 19th
March 2021 together with the Grade 4 and candidate classes (Class 8 and Form 4)
- 4. All learners, except Class 8 and Form 4 candidates, will proceed for a
7–week holiday to allow for KCPE and KCSE examinations administration and marking.
- 5. Grade 4 and incoming Form 1 (Class 8 graduates) learners will stay at home as other learners complete their Term 3
- 6. Grade 4 CBC learners will transition to Grade 5 in July 2021.
- 7. International schools will reopen from January 4th 2021 for all learners still at home.
All other details regarding specific dates for all school terms for basic education learning institutions, including the KCPE and KCSE examinations timetables, will be provided to you and are appended to this press statement.
I wish to assure the country that the Government is determined to ensure a safe reopening and learning of our schools. In doing so, we are drawing important lessons from the partial reopening that has taken place since October. We are confident that we will remain on the right trajectory to finding the winning formula that will ensure our learning institutions are safe for our learners and teachers.
The Ministry appreciates the support of all parents, counties and development partners in ensuring that schools comply with all the Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 safety measures.
Prof. George A. O. Magoha, CBS CABINET SECRETARY
November 16th, 2020
Table 1: 2020 Term Two and Three Schedule for Continuing Learners (PP1 & 2; Grade
1, 2 and 3; Class 5, 6 and 7; and Form 1, 2 and 3)
|Term 2||04/01/2021||19/03/2021||11 Weeks|
|Term 3||10/05/2021||16/07/2021||10 Weeks|
|Half Term Break||03/06/2021||07/06/2021||3 Days|
Table 2: 2021 School Calendar
|Term 1||26/07/2021||01/10/2021||10 Weeks|
|Half Term Break||26/08/2021||29/08/2021||3 Days|
|Term 2||11/10/2021||23/12/2021||11 Weeks|
|Christmas/Holiday Break||24/12/2021||2/01/2022||10 Days|
|Term 3||03/01/2022||04/03/2022||9 Weeks|
|KCSE||11/03/2022||01/04/2022||3 Weeks 1 Day|
|KCSE Marking||04/04/2022||22/04/2022||3 Weeks|
|Term 1||25/04/2022||01/07/2022||10 Weeks|
|Half Term Break||26/05/2022||29/05/2022||3 Days|
|Term 2||11/07/2022||16/09/2022||10 Weeks|
|Half Term Break||11/08/2022||14/08/2022||3 Days|
|Term 3||26/09/2022||25/11/2022||9 Weeks|
|KCSE||01/12/2022||23/12/2022||3 Weeks 1 Day|
|KCSE Marking||02/01/2023||20/01/2023||3 Weeks|